Association of Lifecasters International
All rights reserved.

FORUMS

Bill Koons

20-Apr-2004

Started On : 25-Mar-2005 at 03:43:32 PM, #Views : 4766

Topic Subject : Re: Casting query

Ann,
I just got around to looking at the message board, hence the late reply. I have almost always used this bas-relief look. It is amazingly simple. I lay my piece on a flat surface and build a frame around it. Raise the piece up as many inches as the thickness of the back is to be and then pour plaster into the frame until the edges of the piece are just reached.
A few quick notes. Pour the plaster in the very creamy phase if you wish a very flat surface. Take care to avoid splashes. The piece can be held up in position with chunks of styrofoam. This presentment of a piece requires that you design it to have a fairly flat back or part of the sculpture will be submerged in the wet plaster. Also make sure the table you are working on is dead level. I caulk all of the joints in the box I build with latex caulk. Note: when nailing the box frame, drive the nails in only half way.
The bas reliefs that I build are heavy. The one of Elektra on the ALI website wieghed in at 350 poundds, but she is six feet tall. E-mail me directly if you have any further queries.
Bill Koons
williamk@io.com

Back to Categories